Medical Laboratory Science Program Objectives
Upon completion of the Bachelor of Science degree in Medical Laboratory Science, graduates will be able to:
- Demonstrate proficiency in performing the full range of clinical laboratory tests in the contemporary clinical laboratory.
- Evaluate test systems and diagnostic algorithms in terms of diagnostic value, compliance outcomes, and cost-effectiveness.
- Evaluate the results of laboratory analyses for accuracy and validity, and correlate laboratory data to disease processes.
- Apply the principles and practices of quality assurance/quality improvement as applied to the pre-analytical, analytical, and post-analytical components of laboratory services.
- Exhibit the ethical and professional behaviors required within the healthcare delivery system.
- Communicate effectively orally, in writing, and through laboratory information systems in order to consult with members of the healthcare team, to provide patient education and customer service, and to interact with external parties.
- Use research design/practice skills to evaluate published studies and investigate clinical laboratory issues/problems.
- Exhibit an understanding of the concepts and principles of laboratory management such as human resource management, finance, operations, regulatory compliance, performance improvement, critical pathways and clinical decision-making.
- Demonstrate understanding of education techniques and terminology to train/educate users and providers of laboratory services.
- Seek national certification as a Medical Laboratory Scientist and pursue employment within this field or a related field or continue to post-graduate education.