Student Grievances

Any member of the University community who feels that his or her rights (academic or non-academic) have been violated by another student, faculty member, administrator, or other member of the University should first attempt to resolve the issue informally.

In the event that a resolution cannot be reached informally, an investigation will be conducted to determine whether the allegation has merit as well as whether it can be disposed of administratively by mutual consent of the parties involved on a basis acceptable to the President or the Executive Vice President for Academic Affairs. If so, such disposition shall be final, and there shall be no subsequent proceedings.

A University Hearing Board has been established to consider grievances that could not be resolved in either of the ways described. For a copy of the full policy, consult the Student Handbook.