Medical Technology Program Outcomes
Upon completion of the Bachelor of Science degree in Medical Technology, graduates will be able to
- Demonstrate proficiency in performing the full range of clinical laboratory tests in the contemporary clinical laboratory.
- Evaluate test systems and diagnostic algorithms in terms of diagnostic value, compliance outcomes, and cost-effectiveness.
- Evaluate the results of laboratory analyses for accuracy and validity, and correlate laboratory data to disease processes.
- Apply the principles and practices of quality assurance/quality improvement as applied to the pre-analytical, analytical, and post-analytical components of laboratory services.
- Exhibit the ethical and professional behaviors required within the healthcare delivery system.
- Demonstrate skills in laboratory information systems that will enable timely, accurate, and confidential reporting of laboratory data.
- Communicate effectively, both orally and in writing, in order to consult with members of the healthcare team, to provide patient education and customer service, and to interact with external parties.
- Use research design and practice skills to evaluate published studies and investigate clinical laboratory issues and problems.
- Exhibit an understanding of the concepts and principles of laboratory management such as human resource management, finance, operations, regulatory compliance, performance improvement, critical pathways, and clinical decision-making.
- Demonstrate understanding of education techniques and terminology to train and educate users and providers of laboratory services.
- Seek national certification as a Medical Laboratory Scientist.